Thursday, February 5, 2009

to know your name

"I know You gave the world Your only son for us to know Your
name
, to live within the Saviour's love. He took my place,
knowing He'd be crucified. And You loved, You loved
a people
undeserving
" (Hillsong United)

This song brought me to tears today during my devotion. Have you ever felt like what Christ did for us becomes a "yeah, I already know that"? When was the last time the truth of Christ's crucifixion convicted you? It did again for me today.

Do you know the story behind the gerber daisy in that picture? It was during my church's summer retreat. I was in a spiritual funk, and I spent most of the retreat reflecting within myself and reaccepting the truth of Christ all over again .. just like now. I had a habit of running every morning around 6, so one morning I ran down to the beach and back. On my way back, in the middle of the road, was a brand new, orange/red gerber daisy lying beautifully. The package was on it and everything. Unblemished, perfect, just lying there. That's when it really hit me. I saw no coincidence behind it. It was God's way of telling me how much He loved me. Gerber daisies are my favorite flowers. And running back to my cabin, the sky was clearing up because it had rained a little bit earlier that morning. And there in front of me - it was faint, but I surely saw it - a rainbow. There He reminded me of His promise. And I vowed then and there to never forget that moment, nor His promise.

And now I'm reminded of this all over again. I'm not perfect, and I never will be. But God's love overwhelms all my troubles .. my indifference, my doubt, and my idleness. Because He didn't come to love a perfect world, but rather a people undeserving. You and me.

1 comment:

  1. that's beautiful jess. and hey, should we make monday work again for me this time? do you know that it's pretty lame that we live so close to each other but never see each other! what's up with that?!

    ReplyDelete